Monday, February 6, 2012

Run Naz Run!

I have been wanting to put this post up for days but it has been a busy week and I also had camera and technology issues, but I promise to make it up with at least 3 updates this week!
Last Friday 27th January Naz competed in his first marathon (42 kilometres for you non runners like me) and he made it!! We are soooo proud of him.
It's not often you have a world class marathon starting and finishing on your doorstep so he couldn't pass up the opportunity, it has also been a goal for some time now.
He has been training since we arrived in Dubai apart from the week he had off after injuring his back doing handstands (note to men weighing 100kg - your body is NOT meant to hang upside down).
Come race day I am not sure who was more nervous, the enormity of what he was about to do was a bit overwhelming for me. We were up at the crack of dawn to get to the start line, a mere 400 metres from our front door. Friends were racing in the 10km event so there was a nice big bunch of us together to cheer from the grandstands.
If you are familar with Dubai the race basically ran from Downtown (Burj Khalifa) through DIFC (financial district) to the beach and along the coast to the Burj Al Arab and back.
In the time Naz was running (4 hours 25 minutes in total) Piper and I cheered on our friends in the 10km race, met up with a group for a long breakfast back at Souk Al Bahar, gave the dog a quick stretch of the legs and strolled back for the finish.
It was amazing when we spotted him making his way up the final leg, we waited with friends at the 400m mark to cheer him on for the finish and it was incredible how much a bit of support from a group of friends can spur on that last bit of energy!
He is now recovering well, after a few days of exhaustion and what he tells me is a common runner's cold the only injuries left recuperating are the knees and shocking chaffing 'nappy rush' under his arms from his singlet! Which is lucky really because he is competing in the Wadi Bih Team Marathon in 6 days time, it is a 72km off road marathon through the desert and Wadi's (rock water pools) completed in a team so I understand each member runs approximately 19 kilometres. I will post on that after the event!

Apologies in advance.... I am having a nightmare with photo's on my blog at the moment, they are randomly switching between vertical and horizontal so until I have this all sorted tilt your head and enjoy xo










No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment for us, we would love to hear from you xo